- Students should be enrolled in grades 6 to 12 and members in good standing in their school's vocal music program.
For the 2023-24 festival season, choirs must be at least 12 students
For the 2024-25 festival season and beyond, choirs must be at least 17 students
- Ninth grade students should perform at the same level in all events throughout the year and are expected to meet the performance standards of the level in which they participate.
- A completed and signed registration form should be postmarked or hand delivered to the District Manager. Fees and deadlines are determined by each District. Please consult your District Page for details.
- Registration is completed online using the Festival Scheduler. For login information, click here. Online scheduling questions should be directed to Andrea Gay at email@example.com. For technical issues, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In signing the registration form, the principal and the director agree to supervise the students from their school to ensure proper conduct at the Festival. Improper student conduct may result in sanctions by the MSVMA Board of Directors.
- Choirs must pay fees at the time of registration. Invoices must have all the required signatures to be accepted. Purchase orders will not be accepted.
- Payment should be made by school check or director’s personal check payable to MSVMA and must be postmarked by the deadline. Fees are non-refundable.
- Failure to meet established district deadlines will result in your events not being scheduled or an additional late registration fee.
- Each choir must perform two selections of a contrasting nature. The literature performed must contrast rhythmically and/or melodically and/or harmonically.
For the 2023-2024 Festival Season, the required repertoire lists are suggested repertoire. If a director is choosing to sing something that is not on either required list, there is a song in the scheduler titled DIRECTOR CHOICE that can be used for the required piece. There is no sight-reading level attached to this song; directors will simply tell the adjudicator which level and voicing they are choosing to sing when entering the sight-reading room. See under district festival documents (on the right side of page) to view repertoire lists.
Adjudicators will be required to comment in writing on the choice of literature via the rubric.
- Non-traditional choral music sung at choral festival needs to fall within the framework of the MSVMA choral rubric. Click here to view further considerations regarding non-traditional choral music sung at choral festival.
- Choreography is not allowed. However, artful staging and appropriate choral movement that reflect performance practice of the genre is permitted. The use of choreography will result in no Final Determination.
- JHMS directors may change the key to meet their singers' needs. It is not acceptable to rewrite a score but adaptation is permitted.
Festival Performance of Original Arrangements
- All copyright laws will apply. This includes use of copyrighted texts.
- In order to perform an arrangement of a copyrighted peice, you must have written permission that includes all pertinent information.
- Adjudicators are required to comment on the quality of literature for all Choral Festival events.
- All other MSVMA Festival literature requirements apply.
Policy change for 2023-2024 School Year - All choral festival entries must sight read in their school category, i.e. HS must read HS and JHMS must read JHMS. The director may choose the voicing of festival sight reading to match the voicing of one of the two performance pieces. The director may choose any level. Choirs must read Intermediate or Advanced and receive a 24 in sight reading to be considered for All-State Large Ensemble, Outstanding Choir, or the 2025 MMC Choral Hour.
- District Festival participation includes warm-up, performance, clinic and sight reading.
- Every attempt will be made to honor performance date and time requests. Schools sending multiple groups cannot be assured of same day scheduling.
- Choirs may be scheduled to sing from 8 AM to 6 PM
- Accompanists must have original copies of selections.
- Choirs must provide one original score of the selections with measures numbered for each of the adjudicators. Failure to do so will result in a no final determination rating.
- The use of musical scores during performance is optional.
- Performances will be recorded.
- When performing music requiring accompaniment, live accompaniment must be used, unless it is avant garde or 21st century music requiring electronic or taped accompaniment as part of the composer's compositional and performance intent.
- Allotted performance time includes stage entrance and exit.
- Any changes in the literature must be emailed to the District Manager one week prior to the first day of the Festival. Changes in repertoire after this date will result in a "no final determination" rating.
| I Excellent
| II Good
| III Fair
| IV Developing
Choirs with a Final Determination of I Excellent qualify for State Choral Festival.
For more information on festival participation, click here.
Choral Festival - Optional Choir Background Information
Are there circumstances related to your choir that you would like to share with festival adjudicators?
MSVMA has created an opportunity for you to share information about your choir through its new Choir Background Information form. This new option helps you convey circumstances or information to adjudicators. Complete the Choral Background Information form on the scheduler.
For more information about the Choral Background Information form, you may contact your district manager.